Prada FW08 | Fallen Shadows

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Recent Life Story

Truly disappointing... Haven't been blogging and reviewing myself for a while, guess it's about time to do so. Gotta have a reality check and wake call pour moi. I've been thinking about going back to buying for a while, and road has never been bumpier than ever...

Ever since I left the buying dept of G, and work closely with what people might have thought a big house (and I thought so too), the reality is not quite the case and hit me hard. Can you believe only 2 persons handling the entire Asia Pacific's merchandising dept? as an out-sourced supporter with hopes and dreams, that's not right and so under-developed. I gradually aware where I was in was actually a very pleasurable comfort zone, but then hey, there's always something to bitch 'bout, I keep telling myself not to look back ... anyway, I don't forget and I don't regret and I focus and look forward. I send out letters to houses that I'm interested, but it really has been lumpy bumpy, I either get no response whatsoever, one house didn't reply 'cos the head buyer wanna employ a woman for menswear, who could have thought? Smaller houses might consider my expected wage too high, but you get what you pay for, and I get what I want (as always! just the matter of time); others simply ignore my application and follow-up letter. One dept store's big gun judged me from the impression she got from my former direct boss when I was still in the learning curve. I know some employer think of me jumpy, simply bcos I have been in veterinary, fashion journalism and buying, I think I have a Catching 22 resume, as in it really depends on how you see it: local HK Chinese employers might think of me unstable, but shouldn't (/couldn't) people change job before 30 and gain both work & life experience and explore? On a contrary, the European way to see it is different, they cherish and respect your versatility and diversity, they judge you by your ability and knowledge. Talking about knowledge, educated and academic is very different, local bosses tend to look for academic cadidates whom might not be educated - i.e. someone who are all-rounded, well-informed and more worldly, not just knowing things from school, that idea is so immobile and localised. I am not academic and have never been trained in fashion, but I know a lot more than alot of people about fashion, I am just being honest without any cockiness, but reality is, that didn't help ...

Career Q&A List for myself -
do I belong to the cooperate houses? I was there for 2 years, if it wasn't my direct boss, I'd still be there...
would I be satisfied in buying? Yes but not in HK, and not the HK way of buying.
do I fit in just any old brand? No, for sure. But I even tried the house that I don't particularly like yet still didn't get it...
should I gave up the HK buying scene? That's yet to tell.

Merde, what to do next???

No comments: